Thursday 22 March 2012

Cassiobury Park and Fields behind the RSSKL (16th March)

KINGS LANGLEY

My first birds of note of the day included 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers which flew over Vicarage Lane as I walked down to the bus stop in the morning at 7:20am.

CASSIOBURY PARK

I arrived at 7:50am and had a short walk around the park encountering many of the usual species including 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 3 Nuthatches, and 3-4 Green Woodpeckers (only heard but still a larger number than is usual for most days).  Also of note included a total of 4 Mistle Thrushes, 2 Jays, 1 calling Redpoll sp. and a Grey Heron called loudly from the nature reserve.

FIELDS BEHIND THE RSSKL
  • cloud 3/3 shade 1/3
  • wind 1/3
  • temp. 0/3
After school I was once again behind the RSSKL walking Theo, I had just entered the first field when I picked up on a falcon species heading towards me from a southerly direction.  As it came closer it soon became clear it was an adult PEREGRINE (only my second record for my local patch!)  It headed slowly and low over my head before flying onwards over the RSSKL towards Hemel.  It calmed down a little following the Peregrine but 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, a single Linnet and a calling Redpoll species were also of note.  As I was walking down the footpath towards Broadfield Farm, I noticed a Feral Pigeon in the line of oak trees, on closer inspection, I realised it was bearing a ring (my first find of a ringed bird on my local patch!), however, it was too obscured and hidden to read the number, the only information I got from it was that it was green and ringed on the left leg.  Further on, I also encountered 2 Yellowhammer, 1 Green Woodpecker, a calling Pheasant and dozens of Common Gulls and Black-headed Gulls, seen at a distance near Clapgate Farm (feeding in the newly ploughed fields).

MIDDLE FARM

I made a little diversion from Broadfield Farm, were I hoped to find more Little Owls for my survey to Middle Farm (west of the A41) also in search of Little Owls.  Unfortunately, I found none, but did have some other surprises including a flyover Cormorant a calling Pheasant and a late migrant Fieldfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment