Friday 13 July 2012

Bricket Wood and Tyttenhanger in the rain (9th July)

BRICKET WOOD

After seeing the amazing array of butterfly species in the rain only a few days previously I was keen to see even more.  I arrived late in the day at Bricket Wood, despite the weather not looking very promising.

  • cloud 3/3 shade 1-2/3
  • wind 1/3
  • temp. 1/3
  • rain 1-2/3
The rain soon set in and there was little change throughout the day.  However, there was a window of opportunity and both the Butterflies and I took advantage of it.  The Ringlets and Meadow Browns were the first to emerge, followed by a stunning White Admiral, which perched briefly near the top of the oak canopy.  Further down the path and the sun came out for a 30minute break.  Within seconds there was activity going on all around, including dozens of Ringlets, Meadow Browns, another White Admiral and 1 Large Skipper being bullied of the thistle it was feeding on by 2 Silver-washed Fritillaries!  In all an excellent show of colour!  A Roe Deer also made a brief appearance as well as being rather approachable.

 Silver-washed Fritillary, what a stunner, who says British wildlife is dull!?


 



Ringlets

TYTTENHANGER

I was originally hoping for at least a few waders, however, like almost everywhere in my local area the muddy margins of almost all the Res's and lakes are flooded.  All the same, there were still 3 Little Ringed Plovers on the shingle bank and a single Oystercatcher flew through.  I only stayed for a short period of time and much of it was spent negotiating my way around as the usual causeway I take to reach the main pit was under water.  Once back at the south end of the large fishing lake 2 Oystercatchers flew low in and over my head as I was unlocking my bike to leave.  They even decided to land in the pig pen!  Unfortunately there was no sign of the Common, Green Sand. or Redshank despite scanning thoroughly around the entire pit.

One of the two Oystercatchers in the pig pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment