Friday 17 August 2012

Woodland again (13th August)

My grandma's garden once again played host to a stunning Black Redstart, later seen on the surrounding houses at lunchtime.  However, instead of staying at home, I was out again on my bike, this time to some locally famous ruined castles, via some well wooded valleys.  The route took me to the edge of a wood just west of Buchholz were I saw my first German Spotted Flycatcher and even better, 3 PIED FLYCATCHERS.  I was taking prolonged notes and sketches on them and only after about 45minutes did I continue towards the ruined castles.  Birds en-route included another Black Redstart, 1 Crested Tit, Marsh Tits, a juvenile Robin, 1 Red Fox and 1 Silver-washed Fritillary.  The stone walls of the castle were ideal for getting up close to some lizards.  I photographed two species but I am still unsure about their ID as I am still a total novice on them.

female Pied Flycatcher


a massive Grasshopper species (well camouflaged in the vegetation)

unIDed mouse or vole species



Wall Lizard




die Niederburg

Me at the top of Die Oberburg

Die Niederburg

No comments:

Post a Comment