Sunday 16 September 2012

The Lizard (16th September)

I joined up with my parents and brother again in the afternoon and together took the coastal path around the south western edge of The Lizard, which we finally reached by early evening.  All the same we still managed to log a few species including 1 juv. Peregrine, 3 Stonechats, 1 Wheatear and 2 CHOUGHS a tick for my year list (a lifer for my my brother).  Our first surprise for the day, however, was an Ocean Sunfish, sunning itself close to the shore and waving its fin about in the classic novel way.  On the other hand our last good sighting for the day was a brief view of a prob. Pomarine Skua which flew relatively close past the headland in a north westerly direction.  Unfortunately I couldn't relocate it in my scope and I didn't get enough features on it but I'm sure there'll be more opportunities.  Other than the birds, I also saw 2 Small Tortoiseshells, several Red Admirals, Speckled Woods and a few Large Whites and at least 2 Grey Seals were also bobbing around in the water. 

some more boring landscape shots, apologies

Ocean Sunfish

lighthouse at the Lizard

The Lizard itself

No comments:

Post a Comment