Monday 1 October 2012

Another dip (29th September)

A Saturday outing to Marazion, where I hoped to connect with the long-staying but elusive Spotted Crake.  I took the earliest bus I could and arrived after an hour+ journey at Marazion at around 8:40am.  No sign of the bird since yesterday but I decided to give it time.  Reward, nothing.

Marazion Marsh

With the day wearing on, I thought I'd use the time to look for some more exciting migrants at St Michaels Mount.  However, the next disappointment was that you had to pay for entrance so I took the long route around the west side of the island along the rocky shoreline.  Birding soon became rock-climbing as most of my concentration was on not falling off the ledge so only a few Rock Pipits to report.

St Michael's Mount

Once on the grassy slopes I began searching for Wryneck, Red-breasted Flycatcher and Yellow-browed Warbler but needless to say I saw none.  In fact it was almost dead, only 1 Wheatear was running along the wall and a Peregrine flew over.  Rather disappointed I returned to Marazion Marsh once again to dip out on the Spotted Crake before walking north along the footpath, over the railway and into an area of bracken where a few Dragonfly species proved to be the highlight of the day.  Several Migrant Hawkers and Common Darters being particularly photogenic.  Red Admiral, Speckled Wood and 1 Comma were also on the wing.  A final few hour wait at the standing stone once again produced nothing but a Water Rail lurking in the reeds, perhaps preparing to launch itself on the unsuspecting crake which sensibly stayed well in cover.

 male Common Darter

 female Common Darter

 Migrant Hawker

 don't get excited it's just a Water Rail

Little Egret

No comments:

Post a Comment