Tuesday 2 April 2013

Big Walk (31st March)

Went for a walk with my Dad for the afternoon following our family reunion.  I decided to carry my scope with me, which turned out to be a bit of a mistake as there was very little bird activity going on and we ended up walking several miles!  Our walk took us over farmland and through some mixed woodland, ending in the wooded valleys that are so typical of the area.  It was midday when we left and the temperatures were rising, as a result 2 Buzzards, 3 Red Kites and a Sparrowhawk had taken the opportunity to make the most of the thermals.  The extensive, barren fields did eventually produce 3 White Wagtails, a small flock of Meadow Pipits, singing Skylarks and 4+ Bullfinches.  The highlight came at the end of the walk, just as I had sat myself down on one of the benches overlooking the vast valley.  I had just noticed a distant dark speck on the horizon gliding up the valley and on raising my bins it revealed itself to be a BLACK STORK!  It was only viewable for a couple seconds before it disappeared behind one of the bends in the valley, where I assume it came to roost as we didn't see it again.  Other species of note included Crossbills in the woodland and a nice male Back Redstart in the village.

 woodland south of Pantenburg

wooded river valley west of Pantenburg, a good migratory route for Black Storks

No comments:

Post a Comment