Monday 29 April 2013

First Day Back on the Fal Patch! (28th April)

It was my first day back on the Fal local patch after my Easter holidays back in Herts.  I managed to get up relatively early with the intention of visiting Swanpool for some pics to add to my conservation notebook.  In fact, my first stop was Pendennis Point with the hope of locating some divers.  I met John-St Ledger here and after some considerable sea-watching we had only seen a couple flypast auk flocks (most likely Guillemots) with a couple confirmed Guillemots scattered further inshore.  However, once our eye was in the game, I managed to complete a full scan across the bay clocking an impressive total of 17 Great Northern Divers!  At least five were in their stunning summer plumage and were a brilliant sight to behold.  What a shame Dan wasn't with us to enjoy them.  However, no sooner had I left Dan came wandering up the path from Gylly.  I retraced my steps back to the point with him and after a halfhearted scan we only managed to pick out 11 of the 17 divers.  The wind had picked up slightly making it more difficult to pick out the more distant ones and some had moved such a considerable distance that is was likely many may have been different individuals.  Anyway, enough about divers.  2 Wheatear were also at the point.

I walked the coastal footpath to Swanpool where I heard both the singing Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler.  The Great Crested Grebe was also back on the lake (a scarce bird for the site), 2 Sandwich Terns patrolled the cliffs at Pennance Point and a Comma butterfly was at Swanpool.

A final short sea-watch from Pendennis as the rain and wind picked up only produced flock of 8 Manx Shearwaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment