Friday 28 June 2013

Morning at Staines (28th June)

I spent the cloudy and slightly rainy morning at Staines today.  I was on the scene a couple hours earlier than last week, arriving around 6ish in time for the large gulls on the gantry.  Bob Warden arrived only a couple minutes before me and was already on a Yellow-legged.  A short while later we were treated to 2 ad. Yellow-legged Gulls perched on the blue railing of the gantry and they both remained there even after I had left at 9:15.  I only got a very brief open wing view and was rather lucky to get it on camera.  It was only then that I realised it was moulting primaries 4-5!

Other birds of note included the usual drake Scaup, 1 sum. plum. Black-necked Grebe and a couple Common Terns passing through, carrying their catch back to Bedfont Lakes were they are currently nesting.

Yellow-legged Gull on the Gantry

showing moulting primaries 4-5 (and the second YLG on the far left)


No comments:

Post a Comment