Tuesday 13 August 2013

Sangweiher (12th August)

Sangweiher is the closest marshland site and despite covering a tiny area (barely 300 square meters!) the heavy rain kept a couple waders on the muddy fringes.  4 WOOD SANDPIPERS, 2 Snipe and 2 Common Sandpipers were the only birds representing the waders.

Wood Sandpiper

Despite the rain worsening and blowing directly into the hide I could just make out a family of 5 Red-backed Shrikes on the far side of the reserve!  This was my chance to check out a juvenile bird so in a short lull in the rain I headed to the other side of the marsh.  From here I had decent views of a couple juveniles, something I was looking extremely forward too for a while.  A Great Grey Shrike also braved the rain and despite showing only shortly and rather distantly it was certainly a bonus treat!

male Red-backed Shrike

one of the juvenile Red-backed Shrikes

Great Grey Shrike

Other birds of note included Water Rail and I reconnected with a single Hawfinch on my morning round of the Germany Patch visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment