Wednesday 27 November 2013

More Patch Birding + a dip (17-27th November)

I've been out patching a couple times.  The highlights being on a trip over to the Roseland on the 23rd for an attempt at the Pacific Diver.  Despite having been seen every day for the past week, the day I went to visit there was no sign.  Typical!  The next day it was back...

I did see a couple other bits and pieces, including 1 Red-necked Grebe, at least 1 Slavonian Grebe, 5 Black-necked Grebes and half a dozen Great Northern Divers and similar numbers of Black-throated Divers.  In fact, I almost got fed up with searching through the divers for the umpteenth time, despite them being one of my favourite bird families.  A couple Common Scoter, and yet another Great Northern Diver in the Carrick Roads did break the day up.

Red-necked Grebe in Gerrans Bay

A quick nip down to Swanpool on the 19th still yielded the Kingfisher, 4 Ringed Plover, 6 Turnstone, 2 Stonechat and 3 Rock Pipits (all possibly littoralis).

"my" beautiful Fal patch


I also managed to catch up with the campus Black Redstart on the 25th and 27th November around the ESI building and jammed in on a single nearby Dipper twice in the past month.


phone-bin shot of the campus Black Redstart

Volunteering on board Free Spirit was another treat as we set of towards Gerrans Bay.  Although we didn't see the Pacific Diver we did have flight views of 2 Slavonian Grebes, 4 Purple Sandpipers at St Anthony's Head and a silhouetted view of what appeared to be a Wheatear sp. perched at the edge of the cliff also at St Anthony's Head just south of the lighthouse!  Commoner species included 2 Ravens, Kittiwakes, Mediterranean Gulls and a couple Grey Seals that the crew and I are studying and monitoring closely.

Gull Rock in the sun!

I'll leave you with this Buzzard and a rather unusual Shag which I photographed on the 21st at Pennance Point whilst walking the coastal footpath with my friend Matt.  It struck me immediately as a very pale bird and having heard of the Mediterranean race I decided to check it out a little more closely.  Quite a few useful comments on Bird Forum suggesting this may well be a leucistic bird instead http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2875806

leucistic Shag?  Opinions gratefully appreciated







Buzzard at Pennance Point

1 comment:

  1. Samuel, amazing pics. Are they taken with your old camera? Amazing little film of the Buzzard and very interesting seeing an albino Shag.

    ReplyDelete