Friday 11 April 2014

Back to Herts (1st April)

After a rather long and stressful term I was glad, to say the least, to have the opportunity to get back home and rest a little.  Patching the KL farmland however wasn't going to take a back seat so I was soon out again for a usual round of the arable and pastoral fields.  2 Lapwing were chasing each other over the fields (a good sign they may try and breed here) and there were large numbers of Small Tortoiseshells on the wing (including two feeding on a dead Fox Wayside Farm).  Plenty of Buzzzards and the odd Red Kite were also flying overhead with accompanying Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs singing from the hedgerows, particularly along the canal where I was headed next.  A couple of Peacocks were also on the wing along with a white sp. (probably a Small White).  Whilst checking the local fishing lakes I came across a nesting pair of Mute Swans (one bearing an orange band no. 4BDR).  No doubt the highlight of the day came when I heard an instantly recognisable explosion of song from the side of the canal, a CETTI'S WARBLER (a patch first!!).  It required a lot of patience but after an entire hours wait I finally connected with it as it came out on an open perch for a couple seconds.

the Cetti's Warbler spot

By now, it was early afternoon and as it was only singing once every 10-15 mins I decided to move on, content with the views I'd just had.  My first Brimstone of the year also put a smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment