Friday 9 May 2014

A Foul/Fal Seawatch (26th April)

Heavy rain was my greeting back to Falmouth.  None the less I headed straight out after the long train journey to get some fresh air before starting on revision.  I opted for the Hooked Cafe and a seawatch as long as the afternoon would last.  For the next five or six hours band after band of heavy rain and fog came through but thankfully the cafe had pulled a layer of canvas over the outside seats spoiling me with a dry seawatching spot!

sheltered seawatching from the Hooked Cafe, Swanpool

It was only because I remained dry that I managed to stay there for so long, which enabled me to log an impressive total of 238 Whimbrel, mostly moving westwards through the bay and some heading a little further inland.  Other stuff included 9 commic terns (probably Arctics, which would have been a patch tick as they are rather infrequent this far west), 1 Great Northern Diver, 3 Sandwich Terns and a Grey Seal.

some of the migrant Whimbrel moving through the bay

No comments:

Post a Comment