Monday 12 January 2015

Bucks Shrike and Tring Res's (9th January)

With news of a Great Grey Shrike in the direction of Tring Res's I took the excuse to cycle the 20 miles North to try my luck and tie it in with a overdue visit to Wilstone.  With strong westerly winds, biking was particularly tricky but on arrival I was pleased to locate the Great Grey Shrike almost immediately (albeit distantly).  However, as I was packing up in order to move closer along the canal it disappeared and despite remaining on site for several hours there was no further sign.  A Peregrine shooting low through the field and over my head was an additional bonus.

 Great Grey Shrike

Very few birders were at Wilstone Reservoir which was nice as I had the place largely to myself.  A couple Goldeneye were dotted about and there were accompanying good numbers of Shoveler, Teal, Pochard, Wigeon and Mallard.  A Kingfisher flew past the hide and the gull roost amounted to several thousand Black-headed Gulls although I couldn't find anything of particular note amongst them.

No comments:

Post a Comment